Re: No cursor when loading forthOS from HD

From: Andy Valencia <vandys_at_nospam.org>
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 10:50:28 PST

greg scott <x-x@comcast.net> wrote:
> btw, do you know what kernel setting boots ForthOS2 ?
> i dont know how Andy figured the offset+blocks needed to boot ForthOS1.

My second entry is:
title= ForthOS
root= (hd0,1)
kernel= 8+700

> passing in different values of X in "kernel 8+X", the minimum accepted
> was X=650, but all values larger got the same output from grub, and
> booted up the same. even if i knew how to boot ForthOS2, would it
> look different?...

I actually had to read the GRUB code to figure it out, but it ends up
being simpler than you expect. GRUB uses 512 byte blocks, so "8" is
just block #1 on the ForthOS partition (block 0 is skipped because
it often holds stuff you don't want to scrozz, and Forth doesn't permit
block 0 anyway). 700 is just a number of blocks greater than the current
size of a generated ForthOS boot image (700*512 = 358400 bytes). I
could have just specified the maximum possible size, but that'd slow down
the boot time for no good reason.

BTW, when under ForthOS if you want a fresh start, you can do:
        1 fastboot or 100 fastboot ( primary or secondary)
and ForthOS will load its boot image and jump into it without having
to waste time on the PC reset sequence and BIOS slowness.
Sub-one-second reboots... I've gotten spoiled. :->

Andy