This is the main system source tree for the VSTa operating system
("Valencia Simple Tasker"). Its history spans all the way back to
RCS, then CVS, then git, and now Fossil.
Some larger ports are not present here; please see the
VSTa is a copylefted system, originally written by Andrew Valencia,
which uses ideas from several research operating systems in its
implementation. It attempts to be POSIXish except where POSIX gets in
the way, and runs on a number of different PC configurations. VSTa is
also designed to take advantage of SMP right out of the box.
VSTa is no longer actively developed.
The FMI/OS project (http://www.fmios.org) was based on VSTa technology, but
appears to have also ceased development (and, in fact, their
web server is no longer online). Although not entirely
open source, the microkernel OS [http://www.qnx.com|Neutrino]
from QNX might be of interest.
A WikiWikiWeb is a collaborative hypertext environment, with an emphasis on easy access to and modification of information. While the VSTa
development world has been historically focused on a mailing list format, two major shortcomings have become apparent:
* It is very difficult for knowledge to be collaberatively created, published, and archived
* Spammers punish contributors in the E-mail medium by subjecting them to a tremendous load of E-mail "noise"
Because of this, the VSTa mailing list has been discontinued, and the focus of communication about VSTa has moved to this Wiki for access to documents.
If you have any documents to be added here, please get in touch and Wiki
editing can be enabled for suitable authors.
* [Root|VSTa Documentation Root]
* [OtherOS|Links to other interesting operating systems]
* [Download|Links to VSTa downloads]
* [http://vsta.org/mail/|Mail archives]
* [http://vsta.org/vsta/NNTP/|NNTP archives]
* [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VSTa|Wikipedia entry]